How to tell script to move on from the purchase time and take new current bar price

hi, new to CQ, looking for advice please. I have a script which just purchased shares at current price “ md.L1.last” .
Then I need to sell them when price will reach or > first_target. Here is the code:

if ((float(EMAlist[-1]) > md.L1.daily_low) and (float(EMAlist[-1]) > ydLow)):

lod = md.L1.daily_low
            print ("lod is " + str(round(lod,2)))
            ## Define shares to buy at level risking previous low.
            risk = int(round((200/ (level - lod)),0))
            order.send(self.symbol, 'buy', risk, type='MKT')
            self.status = 1

##Set Stop
            order.send(self.symbol, 'sell', risk, type='STP', stop=lod)
            print("EMA > daily low, SKYNET just purchased " + str(risk) + " shares of " + self.symbol + " risking current low at " + str(md.L1.daily_low))
            print (service.time_to_string(service.system_time, '%Y-%m-%d'))
            print (service.time_to_string(service.system_time, '%H:%M:%S'))

purchase_bar = round(md.L1.last,2)
            print ("purchase_price is " + str(purchase_bar))

first_target = round(purchase_bar + ATR,2)
            print ("first_target is " + str(first_target))
            print ("ATR " + str(ATR))
            print ( "md.L1.last " + str(md.L1.last))
            print( "round(md.L1.last,2) " + str(round(md.L1.last,2)))

#if ((round(md.L1.last,2)) > first_target):
            #if ((round(md.L1.last,2)) == first_target)
            #if (bar_1m.open == first_target):
            #if (bar_1m.open > first_target):

if (bar_1m.open > purchase_bar + ATR):
                print ("bar_1m" + str(bar_1m.open))
                new_stop = first_target - ATR/2
                order.send(self.symbol, 'sell', int(risk/2), type='MKT', stop=new_stop)
                print ("sold 50% shares, " + int(risk/2) + ", at " + str(first_target))
            else: 
                print("didn't reach the target")

Seems like last if statement is executed (coz it printed else condition “didn’t reach the target” line), but the if condition is not met, I don’t know why… tried:
if ((round(md.L1.last,2)) > first_target)
if ((round(md.L1.last,2)) == first_target)
if (bar_1m.open == first_target):

if statement should be right after the purchase, so its right..
Seems like it treats last bar “bar_1m.open” as my purchase bar “md.L1.last” coz this if statement happens right after the purchase, at the same time current price cannot immediately be > first_target … that’s why its never executed…what am I missing please? How to tell script to move on from the purchase time and take new current bar price and then use it for my if statement? thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• ptunneyptunney Posts: 246

Would need to see more of your code to help. You can PM me if you want or email at customer_success@cloudquant.com

In any situation like this, where you feel you are running blind, find a symbol that you think should meet your criteria and run just the backtest on that symbol alone (you can modify your is_symbol_qualified code or just limit it when you press NEW TEST (SYMBOLS>USE SPECIFIC SYMBOLS).
    Then add a print statement before your IF statement to see what you are comparing.
    This will normally let you see and understand what is blocking you quite quickly.