How to get S&P 500 quotes?

I am trying to develop a strategy for S&P 500. Can someone point me in the right direction on: How to get S&P 500 quotes for back testing? I found the S&P 500 index 9a802d98-a2d7-4326-af64-cea18f8b5d61. However this looks like return a list of the stocks.

Answers

• ptunneyptunney Posts: 246
    edited May 2019

We carry US Equities, the S&P 500 is an INDEX which tracks the top 500 symbols (defined by Standard and Poor - the list does change).
    Indices are listed on a different exchange and are not part of our symbol universe. The symbol for the Index would be SPX $SPX or SPX.IND depending on the product you were using.

So you are either looking to trade the S & P 500 which means, the 500 symbols listed by Standard and Poor (which is the list you found) or you are wanting to trade a single symbol that represents those 500 symbols. As you cannot trade an index on our system you would trade an ETF - exchange traded fund - which tracks the SPX index. That symbol is SPY.

Because it tracks the SP500 it is also the most heavily traded symbol in the market in dollar volume with an average daily volume of over 80 million shares at nearly $300 per share.

SPY = SPDR S&P 500 ETF - SPDR is an acronym for the Standard & Poor's Depositary Receipts, the former name of the ETF.

For more info see Wikipedia.

• cj889328cj889328 Posts: 2

Thank you very much for answering my question,